BA History and America Studies (University of Nottingham)
Specialist Period of History
Weimar and Nazi Germany
20th Century America
Subjects Taught in the School
History: KS3, GCSE, A-Level and Humanities
Dinner Party: Which 6 people from History would you invite and why
- Ivan the Terrible - By far my favourite character from history- just look at his name! He was the first Tsar of Russia in 1547 and was a brutal leader throughout his reign, even killing his own son. I would keep him at the far end of the table.
- William Shakespeare - He could tell us all wonderful stories and I could ask him where he got inspiration for all his characters.
- Eleanor Roosevelt - The greatest First Lady in American history, she fought for racial equality, human rights, feminism and the poor. I think we would get along.
- Florence Owens Thompson - The subject of the famous photograph ‘Migrant Mother,’ she was a symbol of dust bowl America but also a hard working mother of seven children. I wrote part of my dissertation all about her.
- Walter Gropius - He was a German architect and founder of the Bauhaus school in Weimar Germany. He was also a lieutenant in WW1 who received the iron cross twice and could tell me lots about my favourite period of history-Weimar Germany.
- Hatshepsut - She was born in 1508 BCE and was one of Egypt’s most successful pharaohs. Hatshepsut encouraged trade and restoration of monuments throughout Egypt. She dressed like a King and even wore a fake beard.
If you could be present at any historical event
The burning of the library of Alexandria. I could go back and read all the important historical scrolls and books and then stop it from burning down- Doctor Who style.
If you could teach any topic from History what would you teach and why?
I love teaching anything to do with Civil Rights or the effect of immigration on history.
Favourite Historical book
Although it’s fiction, my favourite book is ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’ by Alexandre Dumas. It is set in France during the Bourbon restoration of 1815-1830 and is one of the most epic stories ever told- go read it!
Favourite Historical Film
‘The Duchess.’ It's about Georgiana the Duchess of Devonshire who lived in Chatsworth house, which I visited a lot whilst living in Nottingham.
Favourite Historical argument to get into a debate with
Are we destined to keep making the mistakes of the past?